Thursday, January 28, 2010

Having My Parents...

After traveling through Texas to a staff meeting with CRI and then on to Tomball to speak to a mission's committee Val and I have landed in Mesa, AZ. to spend a few nights with my parents. I am blessed to still have my parents, they are in their 80's and going to be married 60 years this May.

When I was a kid, I was considered a "handful," and that was putting it mildly. I certainly gave my parents every grey hair on their head. If children would have been diagnosed with ADHD at that time I would have fallen into that category I suppose. I left home at 17 from the supper table after saying "I'm moving out of this place!" and my Dad saying, "well, get your bags and get on your way!" Dad and I didn't quite see eye to eye on many matters. But today 40 years later, it is much different.

Today a visit with my parents is fun and usually filled with laughter. You can find us on any given occasion watching either a CUBS baseball game or some basketball game or anything that would be sports related. They are just fun people to be with.
Dad and Mom tell stories and they help each other remember how it all goes adding their own bit to completion. I think I have heard the same stories over and over and somehow they change a little from time to time but they are so cute. They help each other remember their multiple pills, where they have been and when playing cards whose turn it is. Mom can remember names if Dad can prompt her with who their kids are. Dad still holds the door for Mom and she still thinks he is the best man she could have ever married. They are just sweet to be around. They have been a good example to me in how to grow old well.

I have friends who have lost their parents and I always think that I am so blessed to have these two around yet. They make my life full. I don't know how much longer they will be here but I am cherishing every moment for now. Living in Mozambique during the summer I need to make these winter trips to see them. God bless my parents. Thank you Lord for their lives.

Job 12:12 Is not wisdom found among the aged? Does not long life bring understanding?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Kathy, what wonderful comments on your parents. You made me cry. My memories of my mother were cut short with her dying of breast cancer when she was 43 and I was 20. Oh, how I have missed her over the last 40 years. My father, the joy of my life, is now 85 and is in the last stages of Alzheimer's. This is a terrible disease to watch and live through. He is happy and in no pain though. For that I'm thankful.

Enjoy your mom and dad, as I know you are. Thanks for you wonderful story. Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Kathy - YES you are so lucky to still have your folks and I love 'em too. Mine lived to 88 and 89 so we were fortunate to have them for so long ... I miss them. Can I adopt yours? Are they going to celebrate their 60th? I happen to know of a pretty good Bluegrass band :-)
- Barb of Barb & Don

Larisochka said...

Great to hear from you Big Mamma. Such a sweet post - thanks. Love and prayers to you.

Anonymous said...

I hope my kids say as many wonderful things about me someday.
You are such a good example to us all of love and kindness and sacrifice.
Love you Big Momma....

jenn j

Anita said...

You may have been ADHD then, but I can see their lives reflected in yours:)