Sunday, February 21, 2010

From the Mouths of Babes



Tonight I have my 2 middle Grandchildren to spend the night with me because their mother is having a C-section in the morning. They came for supper and we had their favorite... pizza, they took showers, we watched a movie and then it was bedtime.

I first took 8 year old Koltyn to the bed he would sleep in for the night and prayed with him and said good-night. We didn't have much to say so it was lights out quickly. I did ask him if he was too old to have a kiss from his Grandma and he said it was ok to kiss him on the cheek, so I was privileged to get another kiss.

I then went in to lay down with Ally Max and pray with her and then our conversation began. I knew it was only to stay awake longer but we really had a great time as she shared some deep thoughts from a 6 year old. After she so graciously rubbed my back I thanked her and she started to ask me questions about heaven and God.

"Grandma, I really don't want to die." I said, "Honey there is really nothing to be afraid of. We are all going to die one day. We will be in heaven with all of our family and Jesus for forever." Ally says to me, "I know Grandma but I really like to shop and girls have to go shopping!" I started to laugh, and I laughed and laughed and laughed. Ally says to me, "Grandma! Are you ok?" I said, "Yes" But let me tell you a smile comes to my face again as I am writing this.

Next she says to me, "Grandma, I don't like it when Val is not here. She is so much fun and she plays with me. When she is not here it is like there is a child missing or a student gone." I about fell out of the bed laughing at this one. Val was sitting in the living room reading and she said she could hear me laughing and she started to laugh herself. Especially when she heard Ally ask me if I was ok.

Then for her final commentary on Abe Lincoln. This girl has been listening in class to the facts and life of Abraham Lincoln. I was blessed to know that she has such a love for learning. She knew everything and more that any 6 year old would or could know about our 16th President. I asked her if she knew about George Washington and she said she would need to read about him soon. We ended our conversation with one last question. I said, "Ally do you like to read?" She took a moment and said "Not really Grandma." But I do like to read, " Clifford books. He is just so cute and adorable!"

I am so blessed! Blessed to have 4 grandchildren today and one more tomorrow morning around 8 or 8:30. Brooke goes into the hospital at 5am and we are praying for a safe delivery. Ally and I want a baby girl, and she wants to name her Heather. Brooke and Eric, are just ready. They told me last night they had the perfect names picked out but they forgot what they were. I love my kids. They are just as nutty as I am:)

Proverbs 17:6 ESV

Grandchildren are the crown of the aged, and the glory of children is their fathers.

No comments: